Where are we?

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Copacabana

This town is developing as a Bolivian resort on Lake Titicaca, although it has a long way to go. Lots of foreign tourists, although same old story, no Americanos. The closest thing to an American I encountered was a guy that slept on the sidewalk outside of our hotel. I thought a picture of him and his dogs would be sort of a cute human interest shot, so I asked him if I could take his picture. His response, "Cool, man." I said, you speak English? He did, perfectly. As we spoke, I found he is a Bolivian that attended Washington State University in the early 80s and was there when Mt. St. Helens erupted. He now apparently lives on the street, for what reason, I don't know. He has five dogs that he takes care of. They appear to be very loyal. Other than that I could not discern any other critical aspects of his life. We talked about Bolivia and Washington. When I left, he said, "I know it would be hard for you, but if you want one of my dogs, you can have one." We continue to find that people with the least to give are always very generous. (Pictures of the dog riding on the back of my motorcycle to follow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment