Where are we?

Friday, January 27, 2012

A Day in Heaven

This was our first easy day on the entire trip. We awoke at our beautiful hotel in Abancay. Had lousy coffee and complimentary breakfast, then we hit the road.

From 8500 feet in Abancay we climbed up a beautiful paved road to over 13000 feet. We hit the neblena head on at the summit, but then we dropped to near 6000 feet and warm weather. Then it was back up to 13000 feet before dropping into Cusco.

We had a lousy entrance through the slums and road construction before arriving on the plaza where many of us were just a year ago. Just up the street we found a beautiful hotel for $50 US for both of us. Not bad for a tourist mecca. I think we are the only people here.

I teared up a bit as Jim and I walked toward the plaza. This is where Nick and I had our first conversation about the things that are really important in our lives. It was in Cusco that I discovered the Nick I loved.

I had cuea (spelling, but I can't spell gueanea pig either) for dinner. Not quite what I remember from a year ago.

Manana we will see the Inca ruins and then the next day we head to the jungle for a couple of days. Curious if the malaria medicine works.

Buenos noches.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you're having fun.. Wish I could do crazy things like that.

    Bernie

    ReplyDelete